Medical Student Programs
Overview of Courses and Programs
Dr. Richard G. Ellenbogen
Program Director and Chairman
Dr. Amy Lee
NEUR S 680 – Neurological Surgery Clerkship
Offered A, W, Sp, S – 4 Weeks, 8 credits full time only
This course is offered to visiting students as a “sub-i” experience, June through November each year. To apply as a visiting student, please complete an application through VSAS – we appreciate if you indicate your 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd choice of rotation dates. The department can provide information on the curriculum of the clerkship, but we cannot hold spots or estimate availability within the rotations until May. If you have questions related to the VSAS application, please email: email@example.com. You can also visit the UW School of Medicine website for more information.
This course is offered to UW medical students as an elective in Neurological Surgery November through May.
At the conclusion of this clerkship, students should be able to:
- Discuss the anatomy of the nervous system and how it influences symptoms and signs.
- Perform a thorough neurological examination
- Interpret imaging studies and other diagnostic information for patients in with neurological diseases and conditions
- Outline diagnostic and surgical management options for surgical diseases of the nervous system
- We will cover head and spine trauma, cerebrovascular disease, pediatric neurosurgery, neuro-oncology (tumors), functional neurosurgery, congenital neurosurgery and other neurosurgical subspecialties
- Identify and differentiate acute problems in the nervous system needing surgical attention by a neurosurgeon and those that are more chronic in nature
- Discuss treatment options for common neurosurgical diseases with an understanding of both goals and risks.
Rotation will include intra-operative, ICU, ED, and clinic experience with residents and faculty. Schedule will include 2-week rotation at HMC, 1 week each at UWMC and Seattle Children’s Hospital.
NEUR S 665 – Neuroscience Clerkship
Offered A, W, Sp
We are excited to offer UW medical students the opportunity to fulfill their Neuroscience clerkship requirement by rotating in Neurological Surgery. This clerkship will provide an introductory exposure to Neurosurgery, and features a lecture series surveying the main components of Neurosurgical specialties. In this rotation, students will learn a practical form of the neurological exam to be used during the rest of their career. Students will expand upon their understanding of the basic physiology of the nervous system and explore critical concepts in the diagnosis, pathophysiology, and treatment of neurosurgical disorders. This 4-week rotation includes inpatient and outpatient neurosurgical practices, OR exposure, and weekly conferences/didactics.
NEUR S 697 - Neurological Surgery Special Elective
Offered A, W, Sp, S
By specific arrangement for qualified students, special clerkships or ‘away clerkships’ may be available at institutions other than the University of Washington. Interested students should submit a "Credit for Away Clerkship" form available from the UWSOM Dean's Office Registrar and complete for departmental approval at least two months before advance registration.
NEUR S 699 – WWAMI Neurological Surgery Special Electives
Offered A, W, Sp, S
By specific arrangement for qualified students, special clerkships or ‘away clerkships’ may be available at institutions other than the University of Washington located within the WWAMI region. Interested students should obtain a “Credit for Away Clerkship in WWAMI” form available from the UWSOM Dean’s Office Registrar and complete for departmental approval at least two months before advance registration.
NEUR S 505 –
Offered A, W, Sp, S
Opportunity for first- and second-year medical students to observe the research, teaching, and patient-care activities of academic neurosurgery. Prerequisite: permission of instructor and administrator.